These are the best schools in the desert according to a recent survey in the Desert Sun:
Best High School
1. La Quinta High School, La Quinta. Besides boasting the valley's only high school International Baccalaureate (IB) program and top test scores, La Quinta has also shined in arenas ranging from culinary arts to CIF. 79-255 Westward Ho Dr., La Quinta (760) 772-4150; dsusd.k12.ca.us/schools/lqhs.
2. Palm Desert High School, Palm Desert
3. Palm Springs High School, Palm Springs
Best of the Rest: Xavier College Prep, Palm Desert; Marywood-Palm Valley, Rancho Mirage; Cathedral City High School, Cathedral City; Indio High School, Indio; Coachella Valley High School, Coachella; Desert Hot Springs High School, Desert Hot Springs; Desert Mirage High School, Thermal
Best Private School
1. King's Schools of the Desert, Palm Springs. Making its second consecutive "Best Of" appearance, the Palm Springs-based Christian school educates little ones from all backgrounds, both spiritually and academically. The K-8 school, which opened in 1994 with 55 students, also offers full-day preschool for infants through pre-k. 67-675 Bolero Rd., Palm Springs (760) 324-5464; kingsschools.com.
2. Marywood-Palm Valley School, Rancho Mirage
3. Xavier College Preparatory High School, Palm Desert
Best of the Rest: St. Theresa School, Palm Springs; St. Margaret's Episcopal School, Palm Desert; Sacred Heart Catholic School, Palm Desert; First School of the Desert, La Quinta; Desert Chapel Christian School, Palm Springs; Christian School of the Desert, Bermuda Dunes; Jewish Community School Of The Desert, Palm Desert